Church Leadership Transition Consultation
One of the most significant opportunities for enhancing the health of a church comes during a time of leadership transition. Some of the leadership transitions that take place in churches are planned, others are unexpected. How your congregation travels into, through, and out of a transition is often a key predictor for future health.
CHC has extensive experience in church leadership transition consultation. Our consultants and coaches have helped hundreds of churches and ministers manage leadership transitions in a healthy, streamlined fashion.
What Types of Leadership Transitions Can CHC Help With?
Whether for better or worse, a change in leadership is challenging for everyone in the church, from congregation and staff to clergy members. The Center for Healthy Churches can help you successfully transition through any period of leadership change or trauma.
A sample of the types of leadership transitions we have helped congregations and ministers manage include:
What Does the Church Leadership Transition Consulting Process Look Like?
Because every case is unique, church leadership transition consulting will look different for different churches. However, the compassion, experience, and spiritual guidance brought by our team is the bedrock foundation for every case we take on.
As an example, one congregation recently called upon us to work with them when their pastor of 20+ years decided to retire. Working closely with the pastor and a leadership team from the congregation, we navigated a series of key events over several months. These included:
- Planning the pastor’s departure/retirement
- Navigating healthy closure events
- Exploration of interim options
- Coaching the leadership team through a congregational choice and implementation of an interim option
- Serving as a congregational coach during a self-study process
- Exploration of healthy methods for choosing a search committee
- Serving as a coach for the pastor search committee through the search process
- Providing assistance in identifying high-potential candidates for the vacant position
- Providing guidance and coaching to navigate the call, arrival, installation of a new pastor
- Providing coaching for the first year of new pastor’s tenure
If your church is going through a transition or planning to go through a transition in the near future, contact The Center for Healthy Churches for more information on how we can help!